Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Aesop Speaks

"Men often mistake notoriety for fame"

I got a book of Aesop's Fables out of the attic last time I went home to visit my folks. I have been reading one here and there. They have tended to be pretty interesting, each having a piece of truth to go along with the story. This I was aware of ahead of time and assumed the lessons learned would be that of childlike ideals. I have been wrong the whole time, I guess I did not pay much attention to these stories when I was younger because each one carries it's own weight. For example the quote listed above. Think about that in the terms we live into today, and the culture and people who fill that idea. I think of some movie stars and some attention "whores" on television who will do anything to get their face on the news or E network, something is better than nothing right. I am excited to continue through the book and to see how Aesop will continue to kick my butt with each new lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment