Friday, September 5, 2008

Left Hand and the Right foot

I have been at it again. Looking around on the internet at the church world we live in today. I have also been doing a good bit of thinking about some issues that we have at hand here in the post modern church culture that we live in today. I have decided after much thought and consideration what I consider to be the problem with the majority of churches. Lets say we have the really far right churches, the ubber conservatives and the far left liberal churches. (I hope that we all have noticed the dripping sarcasm right there) I think this is how the far extents tend to view each other. This is not about politics, let me make that clear. I also want to note that their is the vast majority that fall into the spectrum somewhere between the two. I just see this as a clear picture of the idea. The church as a whole share the "basic truths". But, amongst the basic truths we have so many different avenues to get there. I was thinking about the Christian figure heads today again. Rob Bell came to mind, man people get fired up when his name is mentioned. He has made some "questioning" statements over the years, but does it make him a heretic? He is someone who has questions who happens to be in the spotlight. If everything I have ever said about God or questioned was broad casted to the world, they would chase me down with pitch forks and flaming sticks and dogs that shoot bees out of their mouths when they bark. I think what it comes down to is we have issues with the delivery of the message. I know there are some churches out there that think that the loud worship and electric guitars, banners, projectors, lights, and dramas are way off the mark. That they are so lost and have assimilated to the modern culture and have lost the values and message of the church. On the other side, I know their are some churches out there that would say that the sit down, stand up, hymn, preach, talk in unison, don't drink, or cuss church is off the mark and has lost touch with the world around them. I am speaking very stereotypical here, but I think their is some truth in this. But what I struggle with is the battle that was wage on each other for the delivery and approach. The church fighting itself. I think what I am trying to ask here is where do we meet? If the problem is culture related, then dialog needs to begin. I find that Christ isn't lost in most churches. Communication between believers is. I find good across the spectrum, but why spend our time worrying about the other churches, preachers, etc. Why not move together, within the different worlds we participate.

2 comments: