Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cleaning my first Bird with Kyle


Today, I was thinking about a buddy of mine who I worked with up at Lake Champion. We would go goose/duck/deer hunting together all the time in New York. I was thinking about when we would go float on the Delaware River. We had a bunch of great times together on that river. I remember one of the first times that we went, we killed five birds and took them back to camp to clean them. At this point in life, sad as it is to admit, I had never cleaned, gutted anything. I have always hunted and enjoyed it at that. I have had issues with cutting open an animal and getting out the meat etc. So we set up an area to clean the birds and I was a little nervous. Kyle, jumped right in and started cleaning, I hesitated for a second. He looked over at me with a confused look, as to say, "what the crap? start cleanin". So I took a deep breath and stated plucking and cutting and began to clean my first bird. It wasn't that bad. So I cleaned another. That night we cooked it up with our wives. It was a great meal, there is something special about providing dinner and knowing it was straight from the river. (no fridge time) That was a good day. I can think back to many times with Kyle on the river. I have never laughed so hard in my life watching... well that is another story that I will tell later, or you can ask me in person. Just thought I would share a fond memory with ya'll today.

No comments:

Post a Comment