Friday, September 12, 2008

Derrick and Donald

I would like to share one of those thoughts that can be discussed forever. I was listening to an interview today of Donald Miller (Author) and Derrick Webb (Songwriter). They were on a conference call with one guy who would ask them both questions. I would highly recommend getting this podcast of Donald Miller's. It has some good stuff so far. Anyways, one of the questions that was asked nudged them to talk about war etc. The interviewer asked about if we, America as a "Christian" nation had a responsibility to go help say, country in Africa where people are in the middle of a genocide. He referenced a few others but you get the idea. Derrick spoke up first. It was what he said next that I thought was very intriguing. First, he pointed out that we as America are not a Christian nation. I know we could talk about that for a while, but that is not what I want to point out. Next he commented on the fight/war part. Derrick said that their was no question about whether or not we should fight. We should always fight. The question is whether or not we should kill. At first while I was listening, I paused for a second. Of course we should kill I thought, justice must be served, you get what you deserve, kill or be killed in war, these are some of the thoughts that came to mind. Derrick, made a few references to some missionaries that had gone to a village somewhere in the world (I forgot) and decided that no matter what happened they would not use violence even to save their own lives. When they got to the village, they were killed shortly there after. Years later, the families of these men who were killed came back to that same village with the same message of Jesus and they all came to know the Lord. Hmm. He also mentioned all the disciples of Jesus, they all died. They fought the "fight" but they did not go to violence or killing, they were all killed. I think this is a interesting topic to look at. By no means do I think it is an easy one to wrap your hands around, but one that produces a lot of challenging thoughts.

We should always Fight, that is never a question. I think those are good words Mr. Webb. I hope this has made you think and challenged you liked it has challenged me. I am always up for a good thinking session.

1 comment: