Thursday, June 4, 2009

Reality of hurt

Sorry for the blog postponing, but got home so late last night, my body was arguing with me about staying up, so I conceded and went to bed. Yesterday was the day that never ends at camp, it was Day 4. I know this means very little to most of you, but it basically means that from sun up to well after sun down we are going 100 miles an hour... all day. I got to work yesterday around 7am, took a 30 minute break at 5pm to go let Maple out and feed her and then back in it till a little after midnight. It was an intense day and there was a lot of staff working last night since it is the first week of the summer. Something different happened last night that will stick with me for a long time. We had some things happen pushing everything back a while and even canceling one event, so things were a little disheveled. Around the late afternoon, I got a call on the radio to "come over to Springer (cabin) we need someone to help out Nate (EMT)". I started to jog/run over there to assist Nate in what I had been described as someone got a small cut. (If you are squeamish, this would be the time to stop reading and just ask me later) I walked into the dorm and Nate was sitting there with a young man, who had punched a window and in return received a small cut on his wrist. (it was not life threatening due to EMT being present but it required stitches) I looked around to asses the scene and we will just say there was a lot of blood. I asked Nate what I should do and through on a pair of gloves. I just did what Nate instructed me to and assisted in whatever way I was needed. As I was kneeling in front of the young man cleaning off his other hand from glass and some small cuts, I just sat and listened to him and Nate's exchange. He said, "I am really sorry about this guys, I had a temper you know, and sometimes it just comes up, I am really sorry about this, so sorry". He then went on to share a little bit about his life which I will withhold, but to each sentence, Nate remained locked in eye contact with him telling him not to worry and we are going to just take care of right now. He encouraged him just to be loved in the moment and go from there. The young man's Young Life leader sat right beside blood on his shirt holding his friend. Different "Head Leaders" would come in and out of the building while this was all going on to assess where we were and with each "I am sorry about this guys" the young man would receive, don't worry about that right now and a compassionate hug and embrace to follow. This was an amazing picture of love, not matter the action and what may have happened in whatever moment, people loving people. Grace exposed.

3 comments:

  1. Glad the young man had people around him who cared. Let's hope maybe something that followed will turn things around for him and give him another way to deal with his anger or better yet find the source and work through it so he will have less with which to deal. My heart goes out to him because he obviously has a lot of pain inside. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just glad the young man had people around him who cared. I hope something took place following that may have been a turning point as to how he can handle his anger or better yet as to the source and possibly this not happen again. My heart goes out to him because obviously he is in pain and not just from his cut. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry didn't think the first one went through.

    ReplyDelete