Monday, June 8, 2009

Policy Continued.

I have continued to think about this topic, especially with the great comments to spur on more thought. One area that I think give a great example is when nullification was around and the threat to secede from the union during the 1830's under the presidency of Andrew Jackson. For this example, Jackson took policy over some people for what he considered the greater good for the whole that was the union. I think this is a great example of policy trumping people, the union would be preserved, no matter what, no person could have convinced Jackson otherwise, no matter what they cause. He believed in it. The interesting part is the policy hurt some and helped or supported others. Where is the balance, that is where I think the debate can roll on and will sway back and forth amongst the political powers till the end of the earth.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent point Brad. One could contend, however, that the move Jackson made there was solely based upon his ego. If I remember correctly his chief political rival at the time was part of the group pushing towards seccession. As such it made sense, for self preservations sake, to strike down his rival's attempt. The question this brings about is was this policy instituted for the sake of the people or the sake of the person of Jackson? Another interesting question to consider.

    Hmmmm, perhaps I should bring back my blog, I seem to have a lot to say these days...

    ReplyDelete