Sunday, June 7, 2009

Policy or People

I am sorry I missed a day, I plan to write one (now for the 5th) and one more today for the 6th. I would like to pose a question today. I would love some response my great minds out there. I expect something good, Patrick, as usual. I have been reading a good bit lately and in response have been pondering some good issues. Today I would like to talk about the idea of policy and people, which comes first? Should policy be granted importance over people, or should people always gain importance over policy? Does policy serve people or the other way around? I think what has really racked my brain here are the circumstances which can shape and control the differences. Most policies are shaped to serve someone or somebody, so in the end I guess policy always serves some, and controls some. So, the answer is both. Hmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. That's a tough one Brad. Rather difficult to voice my opinion on that in a succinct manner, but I will take a run at it. In short, I believe that people should supercede policy. I'm proceeding under the assumption that you are speaking with respect to political/governmental policy. In my mind government's responsibility is to serve the people. The policy's that it institutes should be ones that are for the best of people. The challenge is determining what "level" of policy is enough. I.E. how much policy is put in place and at what point does it become restrictive. How you answer that does a fairly decent job of putting you in a political party.

    Well that is a short answer, but this is a topic that might be better narrowed down to specific areas and then examine each one. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny this came up. I can't be as eloquent as Patrick but an incident was in today's paper (Oops I specified but maybe better not) and obviously there are times when policies which were made "for the people at one time" now need to be changed due to today's circumstances !!!--but is our state leaders going to be smart and have the courage to do so to save some money rather than lay off so many teachers which was much easier and clean cut!!! Now I have vented!!!!!Sort of different from what you were talking about but connected and I FEEL BETTER!!

    ReplyDelete