Sunday, May 31, 2009

Doing and Dreaming

A little disclaimer here: I think dreaming is a great thing, I am not saying that to dream is a bad or stupid or useless in anyway. What I am speaking to here is a different mindset of dreaming.

There is the process of doing and the process of dreaming. As a whole, we as a society are paralyzed to the process of dreaming. How many times have we proclaimed a “goal” we would like to accomplish and in the end it is just a faint dream fading away from our hopelessness and distrust in our own abilities. We are a nation of dreamers, a nation of people who possess the talent, but lack the process of doing. I have heard many people in my life, including myself reference to something they could do which someone else is already doing. The famous statement, “I could do that if I wanted to”. But when we make the same statement internally, do we carry the same confidence. I do not think we do, I don’t. In secret most are afraid of the process of doing and thus are reduced to dreaming. Dreaming can be a wonderful thing if attached to it are actions of achievement. But when dreams are imagination consuming the mind, we commit to being stagnate which can sometimes lead to bitterness and disenchantment. So, where does this leave us? It leaves us in the all consuming position of choice. To Dream, To Do. Dreams are wonderful, but can end a beautiful mind and reduce qualities dying to be released. I guess what I am trying to say is, when we fall into the trap of dreaming, imagination becomes our reality and reality becomes indebted to us. When reality is our debtor, it owes us something. When we commit to the process of doing, we craft reality, it becomes our vehicle to the dreams we wish to obtain.

1 comment: