Monday, October 27, 2008

What do you worship?

I was listening to a podcast today, called "The God Journey". I would highly encourage anyone to listen to these guys, they are big time ballers. They buck the church, challenge you to think about things that are not the sugary world we are convinced we are in and take a real look at who we are as people in light of who God desires us to be. With that introduction said, they made a comment today on the show that struck a deep chord with me. "You become what you worship." Wow, that is a heavy thing to grasp, or maybe really easy to grasp, but quick to heavy the heart. What do you worship, I asked myself, Christ, Sarah, myself, Iphone, my stuff, desire to love and please my family, my pride, my stubbornness. All of these things began to flood my mind as I thought, what will I become. If I am in transformation of becoming what I worship, how far along am I, if I am going the wrong way, how do I turn around. I want to worship what is truth, not what will fade away with time. If I worship truth, then I will become truth to those around me. I will become truth to myself, a honest reflection of what I desire to be. But why then is it so hard to journey down the path of truth. Why is this a battle with everything around me,and in me, consistently pulling me in the wrong direction. Why? Because not facing truth is easy. It is easy to not face the truth that stares you in the face every morning when you open your eyes and look in the mirror to splash water in your face. It is easy to make a comment that you know might hurt someones feelings but make you look a little better. It is easy to keep quiet when you know you should say something. It is easy to let your words flow without a thought. As I stood still letting all of this soak into my mind, I felt like I was in the Matrix with a bunch of stuff floating around my head. I can honestly say, this one stopped me dead in my tracks and forced me to ask myself what I think we are all afraid to approach, "what do I want to become?" Honestly the choice is mine, I think that is what scares me the most. After I had collected my head and put the mush back on my shoulders, the weight of the statement, "you become what you worship" has taken different look to me. It is a soul stirring question that forces people to question who and what they are.

1 comment:

  1. Good Word Bro, I appreciate the honesty, let's catch up soon

    ReplyDelete