Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dork Time

Okay I am going to admit it today. I am going to be a dork, but I think what I am about to share is rather interesting a has made my brain fart numerous times this afternoon. So bear with me as I try to put into words what I have jumbled and grasped at in my head. I was reading today about something called, "Historical Structuring". This comes from a sociologist named Philip Abrams. He argues that, people are made by society as much as society is made by people. I read that and stopped for a moment to think about what that looks like in our world today. I think it is pretty amazing to apply that principle to say, MTV and look at the proteges from the "X" generation that were raised on MTV. It is very evident to me that society shifted people with MTV, but in return from that generation that came out of the MTV revolution, they tend to follow each other. People follow MTV, while MTV is paying close attention to see where they are going to go. But with that, people are running with what MTV has feed them... so who is making who. This gets me pumped up, I wish I was with my Buddy Scott right now, we tend to have really good conversations about stuff like this. I can just picture sitting on the front porch of Petra (building at Lake Champion, a young life camp I used to work at) in rocking chairs with Scott try to figure this one out, going back and forth with what ifs and but what abouts.

Below I am going to quote a part from what I read... I would love some thoughts on what comes to mind when you read it. I know what happens when I ask people to comment, a bunch of fraddy cats. (that excludes Patrick Allen, the posting Champion in my book, he is the leader on the leader board, do not worry Zach you are right behind him) But I would honestly love to hear what comes to your minds when you read it. Great things happen with a bunch of minds vomit out their thoughts for each other to read.

This is in regards to events of history, etc.

"At such moments, individuals stand forth as agents of history not simply because they possess a unique ability to act, but also because in them we see the force of the specific social conditions that allowed their actions to come forth. Individuals can "make their mark" on history, yet in individuals one also finds the convergence of wider socials forces."

That is some very dense stuff if you ask me. So I look forward to comments... if you comment, the next time I see you I will give you one of the following, a dime, a moonpie, or a dum dum.

2 comments:

  1. Long time reader, first time commenter...I would say that your ability to act and the force of the specific social conditions are more greatly influenced by your own moral make-up. Now you could say that your moral make-up is somewhat dictated by your social condition. However, if your moral make-up is shaped by your internal believes then you can dictate or impact your social condition. Not sure if the writer is a believer in Christ, but if Christ lives in me then his impact on me is far greater than my social condition. In fact I would argue that it would allow me to impact my social condition and is the reason I could respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think this is an interesting thought and as a Sociology major in college I've had my fill of this theory along with others that "dispute" it. I definitely think it's a revolving door. It's impossible, I think, to not be influenced by your environment the same as it's nearly impossible to not influence those around you. In response to the previous comment, I agree to an extent that Christ's influence should be and could be greater then the social condition, but who is to say that the Christian influence is not coming from the local church and local culture as opposed to the Holy Spirit within. I definitely think it's important to be aware of things you are influenced by so that you can guard yourself and hopefully only pass along positive things to others around you.

    Just so you know... I'll be at Sharptop this weekend and I'm expecting my moonpie :)

    ReplyDelete