Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It is time for me to get political, put the kids indoors

I think Neal Boortz should run this country. If you do not know who that is and live in the Triangle Area, NC, then tune into 101.1 he is on everyday from 10-1. But that is a whole other topic that I do not intend to write about today. Today I would like to talk a little about some politics issues. I heard a very interesting fact today that really made me think. It also made me wonder if we as a nation had the same principles as the earlier democracy, if this would still rein true today. Our government's approval rating is right at 22%, and this hops up and down a few percents here and there. The percentage of officials who get reelected year after year is 95%. This is a problem. What this says to me is, we do not trust the people who we put in the government, but we keep them there year after year and wonder why nothing changes. It has recently dawned on me the true power of a vote at a local level. These congress men and women who go to washington determine what passes and fails. I know that sounds pretty elementary, but I think I have overlooked this is the past. There is power in who we send. Of course the president can veto, but what gets to him is determined by those voting on the bills. But back to my main point, if the people do not get flushed out of washington and bring some in who care and are not comfortable with the 95% reelection rate, what can we expect to happen. If you are invincible, why not get money for yourself, take bribes, have special interests, put band-aids on things, leave it for the next generation, don't look at the real problem that everyone can see in plain daylight. I mean what is the problem, it's only bad if you get caught...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment