Friday, October 10, 2008

How are you today?

I just came in from taking my dog outside to use the bathroom before I go to bed. I usually take Maple out with my neighbor Joe with his dog Bear. It has become somewhat of a ritual. A few nights a week at least we take them out at the same time to "go potty" and get some energy out playing with each other. It is like two dads at a playground with their kids, at least this is what I imagine it to be like. It is a sweet time. We will talk about whatever is going on in our lives and just be real with each other. I think it is a neat reality check when you ask someone how they are doing and they actually tell you instead of says something like, "fine" as if you are saying hi and they hi back. I look forward to these talks and times of sharing that we have while watching our dogs play. It's something different when you can honestly relate and be open with someone. It is suspiciously freeing. The thought of two people sharing truths about their lives and who they are brings me to think about what it would be like if every time someone asked me, "How are you", I told them the truth. Whether it be good or bad, I answered in a way that was revealing to the real "Brad". I think we as the general public are afraid to answer what comes to mind when asked a question like that. I can honestly say that when someone says, "How are you", I have never thought in my head, "fine". There is always something more, even if it's small, its more than a one word answer. But why do I not share what is the truth in relation to the question. I am not sure. Maybe I am afraid to show who I am, maybe I keep my cards to close, maybe I am more concerned with what someone might think of me than to be honest. When it comes down to it, thinking about the time I get spend standing in an small grassy area in my apartment complex talking to Joe, watching Maple and Bear play like dogs on speed, I become very sobered to who I am, that is a gift to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment