Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What does it take to wake up

I was reading some of the news today and saw that the Senate voted to uphold some 10 million dollars worth of the earmarks for a group that has in the past been raided by the FBI for corruption charges. What about that seems right. I have been following all of the current events in the news etc and have been struck by a few things about Americans. I will name a few things that we and our future generations are paying for... 950k for a convention center in Myrtle Beach, 230k for a boat to watch sea turtles, 7 million for conservation of endangered sea turtles in Hawaii, (maybe that will grant a few new jobs to some people) 300k for a recreation area in Ak, 900k for researching fish management, 380k for a new lighthouse in Maine, 800k for finding out more about catfish genetics, 190k for a buffalo bill historical center (thank God!), 47k to remodel a playground, 200k for blueberry research in Georgia, 950k to help sustain Las Vegas, 250k for the Ice Seals, 150k for a rodeo in South Dakota, I have a few more but I just do not want to spoil it to much. I guess my thoughts are this, a couple trillion dollars, and these are the kind of things that our government, Dems and Reps have decided to do for us. This is the future that we are having built, so what does it take for people to have a problem with it. I guess an extra 13 dollars a week for a year and then 8 bucks a week for the next two years make it all okay to piss away the future. I guess because we spend like to have nothing to worry about to hear a billion here or a trillion here is such common language now it doesn't bother anyone. Does it not raise and eyebrow that our country is about to have trillions of dollars tied up for years to come. I mean AIG spent all their first set of bailout money on a bunch of stuff and since they need a second try we will give them 30 more billion to see what they do with it now. What happen to the scalpel. I want the promised scalpel to come out. I think its interesting that we seek to learn from the past and politicians always quote the past great presidents, but they fail to listen to them. Go look to see what the past greats have to say about spending our way out of problems and debt and quick fixes... I just want to add this is not limited to right now either, for the past decades we have turn a deaf ear to what was coming. We are reaping what we have sown and might have had a chance to change but are to politically correct to do anything about it.

1 comment:

  1. You left out the millions for researching pig odor. Now that I think about it, I could benefit from that one--ha! But I would give it up! Two unexpected senators have stepped up to oppose this bill, could we possibly see someone listening to the people??

    ReplyDelete