Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Brad 1 Truck 0 (but don't tell it I said that)

Keeping with the theme of my truck, I must let you know the conclusion to the battle. (hopefully) So the culprit was the alternator. I found him hiding up the hood acting all like, I just hanging out in here not doing anything to make the truck not work. But alas, I began pulling him out of the engine. The Truck Manual said it was to be an easy fix. They lied. (5.45pm) I begin to collect the tools for the mission, wrenches, some tool I never returned to AutoZone, Ratchets, flashlight, work light and Maple. (5.55pm) Loosen the belt it says, check chapter one to see how to do that. Bull Crap, chapter one just says some ambiguous sentence about tightening to the right tension. No help. (6.00pm) Disconnect the negative cable on battery so I do not get shocked. Unplug some other wires from the back of the alternator. (6.05pm) Then, since I have not yet figured out how to loosen the belt, I tell the book to go take a hike and it's showtime. I loosen the bolt that proceeds to give me some slack. Belt is off. (6.13pm) Then the poo hit the fan. I start to loosen this bolt that connects it to the engine. A long bolt. I get it a pretty far out and it decides it never wants to move past that point. (6.25pm) I'm pissed. (6.30pm) After looking at the bolt in anger for five minutes I think, "it just needs a little wiggle." This is just a lie conjured up by some jerk who lives in my head. No improvement. (6.45pm) I am not hoovering above the alternator in my engine. Yes I am balancing under the hood. I am working the alternator back and forth to gain leverage... something happens. The bolt moved. I hop down and grab that bad boy and out he comes. He lost. (7.10) Leave for Auto Store. O'Rileys checked the Alternator, yep it's bad. Their prices suck, so I leave. (7.30) I leave and head for Auto Zone, arrive to find I am their only customer, their prices are better. Get cut in line by some girl who needs a battery and does not understand that if you walk in a store and someone is already getting help, it means you are next... not given the choice to announce you need help or wait. (8.00pm) To much time in Auto Zone, stupid girl. I get home shortly after and find out that this alternator is about 1/8 of an inch to big to fit. It will fit, I am going to make it fit. (8.50pm) After a long long long long battle, the damn thing fits. I hate this alternator, hate it. Hook all the junk back up, get the belt tightened right. (the guy at autozone said, "can't be to tight") Hook it up to the Black and Decker Charger courtesy of my friend Sig and now I wait. Thirty minutes later, she turns over and charges up like a charm. (9.45) I am tired and ready to not be outside in the cold. My nose quit working hours ago and has decided to leak. Time for Honey Smacks and Chocolate Soy Milk, hmmmmmmmm. Don't hate it till you have tried it. Night.

3 comments:

  1. Cooter would be proud of your automotive prowess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh just visualizing this and figuring Harold was getting a huge kick out of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. strong work. as chairman of the board of brad inc. i recommend that we add automobile maintenance to our portfolio of services.

    ReplyDelete