Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What I say it true... really

I have a quick story for everyone. I rode in a bike ride this past weekend in North Carolina. It ended up being about 74 miles. It was a pretty intense ride across some of the country in Anson County. Anyways I have one specific part of the ride to tell you about that I thought was pretty funny. I had not trained in over a month for this ride, but I figured I would be able to push through. Around mile 64, I was going up a small incline nothing much and my left hamstring started to cramp. I kept pedaling and reached down to start to work out the knot as I have done before... no big deal right. Well, then about that time my right calf started to knot and each time I would push the pedal down it would stretch it out and when I would pedal up, it would knot again. It was pretty silly to watch I am sure. I think the calf was the straw that broke the camels back, about one minute after that, my other calf, hamstring and both quads all decided to start knotting up together at the same time. If this has every happened to you then you know what I am about to say and it's funny, very funny to watch. With all these knotting muscles when I would pull the pedal up on one side all the muscles would contract violently and pull my leg up to my chest area and on the other side the opposite towards the ground with the other leg and the sides would alternate with each pedal. You can imagine this was nothing graceful. Also, it was some of the most pain I have experienced. Well about this time, I could not pedal anymore and I was still on this hill that I was bent on climbing. I realized that was not going to happen and began to try to unclip my cleats and pull over. I got my shoes out of the cleats just in time to fall over onto the ground. As I laid on the ground and would stretch one muscle while the others would cramp because to stretch one set, I had to knot up the other. About this time a support vehicle came by and saw me on the ground... humbling... he said, "you know there's a rest area about 50 feet that a way don't cha". I looked at him and said, "yes I do, my body just won't take me there". After about five minutes of stretching and massaging knots out I was ready to get back on the bike and go to the rest stop. All said and done, I wish I had that on video.

1 comment:

  1. obviously your cramping was due to the fact that your diet was low in potassium. you had a small banana. if you had a larger banana then this would never have happened.

    i mean breakfast you psycho.

    ReplyDelete